Nottingham Foundation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Homework discussion: learning online

+13
Alicia
Cynthia
wendy
JACKZK
Dean
Grace
Toby
crystal
Lu Siyu
poy.
Tiffany
zhulili0225
Admin
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Homework discussion: learning online Empty Homework discussion: learning online

Post  Admin Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:36 pm

Hi everyone,

Let's start an online discussion about the internet and the future of learning.

Do you think there's a possibility that people will just learn online in the future and not in the classroom?
How would you feel about doing an English course entirely through the internet? If you were offered that opportunity, would you accept it?
What advantages might the internet have over the classroom as a learning environment?
What is your attitude towards the internet?
How much time do you spend online each day?
How do you currently use the internet in your social life? Talking to friends? Online games? Reading the news? Watching tv/movies?
How can the internet be used as a tool for learning English and preparing to study at an English university?
Are there any websites that you recommend?

Let's consider some of these questions together and share our thoughts by posting them on this forum Very Happy

Andrew

Admin
Admin

https://nottinghamfoundation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Homework discussion: learning online Empty julie's opinion

Post  zhulili0225 Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:57 pm

There is no denying that online learning has some advantages ,the most important one is convenient .wherever you are ,only if you have a computer ,you can attend the English course immediately .but the drawback of it is also obviously , you can’t feel the atmosphere of learning as good as you study in the classroom .you are easy to wandering ,can’t concentrate on study. So I don’t agree that the online study will instead of the traditional study.
But the online study can be a helpful way to improve our study ability ,before or after class ,we can use internet to do some work ,such as to prepare or review the class to make sure you are familiar with the topic of class or you under the class very well. As to me ,I spend about 3 hours on surfer the internet almost everyday , reading the news ,chatting with my friend, listening to the music ,do my homework and so on.
I think in the university, internet will act an important role in my study. Information on internet is very rich. We need to learn how to use the internet adequately to make our daily study easier.

zhulili0225

Back to top Go down

Homework discussion: learning online Empty My Opinions On Learning Online

Post  Tiffany Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:03 pm

As we all see, the technique of Internet has developed a lot during the past few decades. We can do many things like shopping, buying food and even doing business on the Internet. So, learning online may be a good for people.
Most of us spend a lot of time going to school worrying about the weather and the traffic. But if we study online we will no longer have these worries. No matter how bad the weather is we can still study.
What’s more, the Internet can remember all the things. So we do not need to worry about our study if we are absent because of illness.
As for teenager, Internet is more welcomed than going to school. We may be more interested in learning if we can no more sit in our seat staring at teachers.
If this comes true, what we need is more self control. All in all, it is acceptable.

Tiffany

Back to top Go down

Homework discussion: learning online Empty 《Whether to study on line or not》by poy from class1

Post  poy. Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:41 pm

Currently, whether to do an English course entirely through the internet has sparked a heated discussion. I quite disagree with learning online. Because some online courses often do not have the guidance of teachers, it is entirely depends on students’ self-learning. And without the proper guidance of teachers, students may lose the points and get confused. The information on the internet is multifarious; it is difficult to ensure that students are not affect by the adverse resources.

The role played by lectures offered by teachers at school, which can definitely bring us comprehensive and systematic knowledge but meanwhile may be less flexible, has consented by many people.

From my personal perspective, adopting the traditional way of learning can make us master information of particular field with ease and efficiency and foster the learning techniques, which will possibly impose a positive impact on the comprehensive development of the students. And it is thanks to the proper guidance of teachers that we can avoid making mistakes that would otherwise be inevitable.

Furthermore, if we study at school, we would probably be exposed to people coming from different social background and thus making many new friends.
Yet, the mode of studying on campus makes us unable to adjust the schedule according to our specific situation.
In this respect, studying on the internet can be adjusted to satisfy the specific requirement of the student.

Although learning online is of a certain benefit, studying at school’s advantages are more appealing to me. I, therefore tend to the latter.

poy.

Back to top Go down

Homework discussion: learning online Empty Lu Siyu' opinion towards learning online and Internet

Post  Lu Siyu Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:14 pm

The Internet technology is developing in an astonishing speed so that there are a large number of people who claim that students won’t need to attend a class in person to learn something because they can acquire knowledge online. I have to say it is very likely that learning online would be a commonplace in the future because learning through the Internet is much more convenient and won’ t be restricted by time and places. But in my point of view, learning in a class room is a better way for me. As learning in a class would provide me more chances to communicate to the teacher, and I can have a clearer comprehension from teachers’ facial expressions and stresses by attending a class in person. So I may not accept it if I were provided such an opportunity.

Actually, Internet has become an indispensable part of my life. I spend more than 3 hours surfing the Internet everyday. I use it for watching movies, get in touch with friends and so forth. Internet is a practical tool for my English study since I can find some detailed information of a word or an article. And I can also learn more by visiting useful websites like ‘the onion’, a website which tells me lots of interesting news.
The onion (http://www.theonion.com/)

Lu Siyu

Back to top Go down

Homework discussion: learning online Empty Crystal's opinion about learing online

Post  crystal Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:37 pm

In the modern world, the internet has become part and parcel of our daily life. I think it is more than a tool.
In view of the development of technology in nowadays, it seems like we need not study in a classroom any more. However, it may be better in reality when we learn a language, because at that time, we need more talking, writing and changing our mind with others. Therefore, I prefer to learn English in a classroom.
But as a learning environment, the internet provides us more information than a classroom, and we can know the latest news by it. There is no doubt that learning something by internet is more convenient .however, this kind of convenient also brings bad effects on somebody. The temptation to cheating is greater than ever before.
I always spend 1 or 2 hours online, and I just read some news or receive some Emails. The reason is that spending too time online will bad for my eyes, I always feel tired if I surfing excess 3 hours.
So you can use internet when you want to inquire something or just for fun. It is not good to over dependent on internet, and it will be harmful for your autonomic learning ability.

crystal

Back to top Go down

Homework discussion: learning online Empty Learning online

Post  Toby Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:00 pm

I use the internet 3 hours for studying almost every day. Since my childhood I have got information from the internet. Then I use MSN talking to my friends. The internet makes our life convenience and relaxing. Now the internet is useful in everyday life. It changes our life in many ways. We can get information without going out. This way is efficient and time-saving. And it can make impossible possible. We can deal with many things by the internet. And there is no denying that the internet is now used a lot in education. Abundant materials and resources are available. And it can provide more choices. But the internet still has many disadvantages. I do not believe that the internet can replace the classroom. Maybe, with the development of the internet, we can learn online. But I do not accept it and I still maintain learning courses through the internet is not a good way. The reason is I am aware that we need teacher teach us face by face. Through that way, we can learn courses,especially learning English, quickly. And If we use the internet too long, we will be indulged in a virtual world. And the eyesight is another problem. In a word, the internet is a good tool for us, if we are not addicted to it.

Toby

Back to top Go down

Homework discussion: learning online Empty My views

Post  Grace Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:33 pm

I want to express some personal views about network learning. Firstly, I want to say that the network resource is rich, share resources become a reality.Network environment has large data, multimedia resource materials, teaching softwares such as learning resources, forming a highly integrated repository. These learning resources for everybody is open. On the one hand, these resources may for the general students and teachers both use, without any limitation, and on the other hand, all teachers and students can above their own points of view, will own resources to join the network resource repositories for other teachers to share.
Secondly,Individualized learning become possible. Under the network environment, studying will be maximally realize the learners autonomy, flexibility and satisfy personalized requirements, make learners truly, positive initiative geological earth sciences.
Thirdly,it can realize the interactive cooperation study.Between students' interpersonal conversation did not decrease, contrary, expand the scope of the communication. Online learning, for the students' communication coordination provides a more capacious platform.
Above all,I think under the network environment can reflect life is learning more study, work that learning new learning concept.
Rolling Eyes

Grace

Back to top Go down

Homework discussion: learning online Empty homework (class2 DEAN)

Post  Dean Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:56 pm

Hi~

We should learning online. There are some points I want to say. AS we know. It’s convenient that we can get lots of information from Internet. Also it is quickly and exact than book. May be always people against learning online because they think as we find our value information also there are some bad information. Almost every body has a good curiosity. But not most people will click the bad information. If we can be very good control ourselves. The bad information will far from us. So we will successful if we can have a good spiritual power no matter what we want do.

Dean

Dean

Back to top Go down

Homework discussion: learning online Empty advantage and disadvantage of learning online

Post  Bob Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:12 pm

As time goes on, technology become more and more advanced and significant increasingly, so learning online is widespread.
In my opinion, learning online is modern and useful way. First of all, learning online can provide us a large amount of information and material by internet. Moreover, it also is a fast, direct and convenient way to learn more about knowledge. Furthermore, learning online can let us communicate with others and share some ideas commonly in forum. To some extend, learning online has so many effective advantage for learners who use internet.
On contrary, sometimes learning online may cause different not good results. For example, on the one hand, many forums can bring mistake information or useless information to students. On the other hand, many lazy students often copy article and view point from others in forum, as you know, it is a kind of forbidden cheat. Another reason is someone do not know how to use internet, so sometimes it is complex and uneasy for people.
In a word, learning online has advantage and disadvantage, different people have display different opinion.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Homework discussion: learning online Empty homework

Post  JACKZK Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:16 pm

Dear ANDREW:
In my opinion, studying on line have two sides, we should treat this phenomenon exactly. I feel studying on line can let us learn more knowledge than studying in class. Studying on line can give us more communication opportunity with others; we can improve our communication ability. If you feel tired during your studying, you can find some interesting things to watch. But, studying on line also has some negative effection. If you don’t have self-control ability, you will lose your way. For example, you may play some computer games, watch films, and chat with QQ. So I think that if you have self-control ability, studying on line will give you many benefits, and let your grade improve.

class1 JACK

JACKZK

Back to top Go down

Homework discussion: learning online Empty Re: Homework discussion: learning online

Post  Admin Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:35 pm

There are some really thoughtful and interesting points being made here. Keep it up Smile I'm looking forward to hearing more.

Lu Siyu recommended a news website (the onion) and I'd like to share a couple of links to British news sites for those of you who like following the news online.

The Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/

The Times: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/

BBC News: www.bbc.co.uk/news

'News Now' is a portal where you can choose what news topics your interested in and it will give you links to the latest news on those topics from around the web.

http://www.newsnow.co.uk

I'm off to bed now Sleep See you in class tomorrow morning.

Andrew

Admin
Admin

https://nottinghamfoundation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Homework discussion: learning online Empty homework

Post  wendy Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:48 pm

There is no avoiding the fact that the internet plays an increasingly important role in our daily life. But I don’t agree with the view that people will just learn online in the future and not in the classroom. It is true that if we learn online we can get more information to widen our vision and get the news promptly. But studying in the classroom is beneficial to us not only academically but also psychologically. So I think learn in the classroom is also very important.

I like doing an English course through the internet but not entirely. As an international language English has been used widely on the wed side. So we can get more knowledge on the internet than in books or newspapers. If I have a chance to do it, I will accept it.

Using the internet, we can meet our classmates wherever we are. We would have more chance to community with our friends and teachers.

I spend about 3-4hours online. Some times I talk with my friends. We talk about our life, study and the different people we meet. I also watch movies on the internet. I like old movies so I can’t go to cinema to watch them.

wendy

Back to top Go down

Homework discussion: learning online Empty study on line.

Post  Cynthia Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:27 pm

Internet for me as a good friend. I can find almost anything from the Internet. For example, if you don’t know some thing you can “Baidu” or “Google” on the internet lot of information will be appearance.
I often use the internet look for information keep touch with friends and relaxing. I have some very interesting webs recommend you. http://www.tiexue.net/ and a community you can find your classmates http://www.renren.com/ .
I think we should study on the internet, because it’s very convenience for us. But sometimes it’s too convenience make me become lazy and lose some abilities. So I can’t rely on it.

Cynthia

Back to top Go down

Homework discussion: learning online Empty alicia's opinion

Post  Alicia Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:50 pm

In modern world, Internet plays an important part in our life. It's so convenience to do a lot of things. Internet enrich our life and expand our vision, but it's also has some disadvantage, nothing is perfect.
In my opinion, I support to study on line. It's a good and original way to study. To compare with the environment in school, students will have more interets to study. Also, we don't have to take a bus or taxi, that can cost less than before. By surfing the Internet, we can communicate with our friends about some difficulties, disscuss some academic questions, find some important information and so on. Some parents are afarid of their children playing games and do something harmful, but I think if a child is good whatever ways he chooses to study, he will use the choice wonderful.
All in all, the Internet is important and beneficial. The technology and science has developed, why don't we use the super achievement?

Alicia

Back to top Go down

Homework discussion: learning online Empty learning online

Post  Toby Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:58 pm

I have read the texts on page 69-71. According to the texts, online studying is increasingly popular in the world. People like online studying. Via the internet, it is much easier to deal will the huge numbers of students on campus. Someone believes that there is no need the teacher can see everyone. And more and more people are opting to study for a masters degree online. As a matter of fact, in china, people do not admit this kind of degree, although via this way people can learn much knowledge. So, as far as I am concerned, people in China need to change their perception. As long as the person has true knowledge, no matter what degree he or she has, we should give him or her a chance to work. Although online studying cannot substitute the course in class, I have to say it is still a good way to study.

Toby

Back to top Go down

Homework discussion: learning online Empty my opinion about learning online

Post  Steven Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:06 pm

At present more and more people can use computer to surf the Internet talk with each other. So in my opinion learning online will be more popular by students. There are several advantages about learning on online. First in my opinion if people study on the Internet
there are many learning resources can be enjoyed. It's very convenience for us. Second on the Internet we can ask questions to each other without names.It can solve the problem that we too shy to ask questions to the teacher. And there are a lot of konwledgeable people all over the world. Finally once the problem that we asked ,the problem will be solved quickly. And we can find more anwsers to referent, we also can discuss with each other.
Above all I think learning online is better than other ways.

Steven

Back to top Go down

Homework discussion: learning online Empty Learning Online

Post  Peter Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:53 pm

As we all know, online studying is very popular at present. Many students take their Notebook in McDonald’s, Starbucks or at home study online. You can image how useful online studying is.
One advantage is distance learner can chose where or when they can study online. What is more, there are many subjects available. You can set your own timetable. So it is convenient for students to enlarge their knowledge.
“Some online postgraduate courses offer students access to information that might prove difficult to research if all they had available was university library.” From Speaking course book. I am agreeing with that. As a person who likes reading, it is good for me.
Another advantage is graduates can continue education while working. They do not have much time to learn at school, they have to work hardly. But they are interest in some new knowledge. So study online maybe very popular among them. They can arrange time to learn more knowledge.
Online studying may become more and more popular. There also many advantages if we use the Internet correctly.

Peter

Back to top Go down

Homework discussion: learning online Empty jim'opinion

Post  jim Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:07 pm

everything have pro and corn internet also does . on the one hand learning on the internet is very convenience what'more it is not only very fast but also it can also boadren our horizens .we can solve problems together on the internet ,we can exchange our ideas on the internet last but not least we can leran more things on the internet in a short time . on the other hand internet also has some disadvantages beacuse of too many things it included some unhealthy things are always appear and wheather you want to see it or not it will force you to see what is worse internet are full of virus which can break down your computer easily.

jim

Back to top Go down

Homework discussion: learning online Empty Learning online is good

Post  Frank Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:20 pm

To be honest, I think learning online is good. It's suit for many people to study at all time. In the Internet, konwledge base is strong and covers wide. We can learn anything if want to konw. Learning online could stay in the home, it's very convenient. Besides, it's like shopping in the Internet. we needn't to worried rainy,cold,sunny,windy. Staying home ,we can do anything and study anything. And,we could relieve the traffic pressure if we don't go to school. In addition, learning online without paper, it is could pretect the enviroment. tongue

Frank

Back to top Go down

Homework discussion: learning online Empty learning online(maggie class2)

Post  maggie袁迪 Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:38 pm

Today, our group discuss a topic—net effects. All of us think Internet can take a lot of knowledge and fun to learners.

Students or teachers can send message and exchange views more conveniently by using Internet. Secondly, when we want to show something to others, we can use some technologies such as PowerPoint. That can make our thought more directly known by others. Thirdly, we can use Internet to talk to people all over the world and save much time to find information. Finally, online studying is allowing graduates to continue in education while working.

While some of students in our group also point out that there are some disadvantages. For example, sometimes we may find that the things we got from Internet are lost or wrong. And some boys, they can’t control themselves. So, they are addicted to some computer games.

In addition, the leader of our group also asks some questions. Such as can computer replace the class in school? We all think that Internet can’t. Because there are many things we only can learn from school.

Happily, we also get some new information from other group. They compared school library with Internet. They found both of them are important.

I think it is a very useful way to discuss with people in a group.

Maggie(class2)

maggie袁迪

Back to top Go down

Homework discussion: learning online Empty discussion about online study(JANE)

Post  maggie袁迪 Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:58 pm

As the development of the world,Internet plays an important role in our daily life.We can use it to chat with others,play games ,buy something in online shops,read ebooks and so on.Internet makes our life interesting and colourful.
I think learning online has many advantages. Firstly, it is pretty convenient to teachers and students to use the online resources and put into their studies. It makes a lot of senses. Secondly, students can chat online with their teachers or classmate. If they have any difficulties about study, they can share ideas to each other and then maybe the problems will be solved. Finally, students can watch English movies and books on the Internet. They also can do some online tests about English to know their own standard. It is useful.
But on the other hand, learning English online maybe a waste of time. Some students cannot control themselves well so that they may be addicted to the Internet. If they do not use the Internet properly, maybe it will be very harmful.
So we must use the Internet as a tool properly and make it helpful to us to learn English. Very Happy

maggie袁迪

Back to top Go down

Homework discussion: learning online Empty WILLIAM

Post  william Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:31 pm

Everybody would like to say that the 21st century is a technology epoch! In the country most family have at least one computer. The children can play computer when they are young! Now the technology is developed and we can use internet do many things like that read books, see movies and also can find some funny like play games.
The information on the internet is very overall we can find most things that we need. Many people think in future the computer can replace teacher teachers. I can say I agree with it or disagree. Because I think in my opinion in one hand that in the future, we can study at home we needn’t to waste time on the road and worried about the weather
We can use internet talk to each other whatever where does he come from. We can buy things on it needn’t shopping for a long time
And international is also good for our English study we can find many tests lectures on it If we don’t know something we can just use Google to find it without excuse other people.
But the computer is made by people. Every man has the defects of his own virtues so the computer also have flaw and it don’t like people have emption! The computer only do things because the procedure.
The intonation is good or had only depended on yourself for play it or us to study.

william

Back to top Go down

Homework discussion: learning online Empty Re: Homework discussion: learning online

Post  wendy Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:12 pm

There is no avoiding the fact that the internet plays an increasingly important role in our daily life. But I don’t agree with the view that people will just learn online in the future and not in the classroom. It is true that if we learn online we can get more information to widen our vision and get the news promptly. But studying in the classroom is beneficial to us not only academically but also psychologically. So I think learn in the classroom is also very important. In the future study we can use the internet to help us improve our study in classroom.

I like doing an English course through the internet but not entirely. As an international language English has been used widely on the wed side. So we can get more knowledge on the internet than in books or newspapers. Also we can get some video to improve our pronunciation. Besides, using the internet, we can meet our classmates wherever we are. We would have more chance to community with our friends and teachers.

These days, I spend about 3-4hours online. Some times I talk with my friends. We talk about our life, study and the different people we meet. I also watch movies on the internet. I like old movies so I can’t go to cinema to watch them. I think we can use the internet well to improve our English and widen our vision.

wendy

Back to top Go down

Homework discussion: learning online Empty study on line

Post  Jenny.L Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:15 pm

Yes, maybe we can’t live without the Internet. It provides us the wide spread information, convenient sources and the opportunity to study or communicate with a lot of people. Through the Internet, we make friends with more people and know more about the development of the word. But today, I want to talk about studying on line.
In my view, suffering the Internet does us something good indeed. You can get more information and it’s up to you whenever you want to learn. But some bad effects can be also shown by using the Internet. You know, when you open your computer, you get used to log on your QQ or MSN first without a sense. It may disturb you when you are studying and it’s easier to absent from the work. And maybe there are a lot of computer games or online games, when you get bored from the studying courses…..you can imagine the consequence. But in the classroom, all these matters will be avoided. You can concentrate more on your work and make an eye contact with your teacher which can make it easier to understand what the teacher says. And if there are some questions, you can put it immediately if you want, but you can’t manage it in the on line courses. Because they are already set down and you need to get an application from your teachers if you have any questions. On the other hand, if you are in the classroom, you can work with your classmates and have a share with your partners. They may give you some good suggestions. So I think that it’s better to study in the classroom than studying on line.

Jenny.L

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next